APIs are the building blocks of modern applications. There are many trends in architecture and implementation for new API driven applications. Just a few years ago, many applications were created as a giant monolith. Today, microservices is the rave, but serverless computing and no-ops are just around the corner from major adoption. Event based backend programming such as serverless computing also fits in with other trends like blockchain.
- What is a monolith?
- Why perhaps you should ignore the trends and stick with Monolithic architecture from the creator of Ruby on Rails
Service Oriented Architecture
Microservices can be considered as a subset of service oriented architecture are very close related.
- What is microservices?
- Microservices vs Monolithic architecture
- A shorter article on Microservices vs Monolithic
- Should you start with a monolith or microservices
- A primer on serverless computing and comparing the main vendors
- Serverless vs Microservices
- Containers and serverless computing
Coming soon: articles on blockhain as a platform impacts API developers.