APIs are the building blocks of modern applications. There are many trends in architecture and implementation for new API driven applications. Just a few years ago, many applications were created as a giant monolith. Today, microservices is the rave, but serverless computing and no-ops are just around the corner from major adoption. Event based backend programming such as serverless computing also fits in with other trends like blockchain.
- What is a monolith?
- Why perhaps you should ignore the trends and stick with Monolithic architecture from the creator of Ruby on Rails
Service Oriented Architecture
Microservices can be considered as a subset of service oriented architecture are very close related.
- What is microservices?
- Microservices vs Monolithic architecture
- A shorter article on Microservices vs Monolithic
- Should you start with a monolith or microservices
- A primer on serverless computing and comparing the main vendors
- Serverless vs Microservices
- Containers and serverless computing
- In Depth Guide to Serverless APIs with AWS Lambda && AWS API Gateway - Part 1
- Serverless APIs with AWS Lambda Part 2
Blockchain takes it one step further, instead of serverless, it is completely decentralized. It presents whole set of challenges. As API developers we should be prepared as well.
- How Blockchain is creating a second wave API economy
- Driving sharing economy with Blockchain and APIs
- Tutorial for building an Ethereum DApp with Integrated Web3 Monitoring
- What is the next serverless platform
- More coming soon.