APIs are the building blocks of modern applications. There are many trends in architecture and implementation for new API driven applications. Just a few years ago, many applications were created as a giant monolith. Today, microservices is the rave, but serverless computing and no-ops are just around the corner from major adoption. Event based backend programming such as serverless computing also fits in with other trends like blockchain.
- What is a monolith?
- Why perhaps you should ignore the trends and stick with Monolithic architecture from the creator of Ruby on Rails
Service Oriented Architecture
Microservices can be considered as a subset of service oriented architecture are very close related.
- What is microservices?
- Microservices vs Monolithic architecture
- A shorter article on Microservices vs Monolithic
- Should you start with a monolith or microservices
- A primer on serverless computing and comparing the main vendors
- Serverless vs Microservices
- Containers and serverless computing
Blockchain takes it one step further, instead of serverless, it is completely decentralized. It presents whole set of challenges. As API developers we should be prepared as well.
- How Blockchain is creating a second wave API economy
- Driving sharing economy with Blockchain and APIs
- Tutorial for building an Ethereum DApp with Integrated Web3 Monitoring
- What is the next serverless platform
- More coming soon.